The Australian soap is set to begin filming again in the coming months Neighbours star Stefan Dennis has been teasing what fans can expect when the rebooted Australian soap returns later this year. There was a global outcry when it was announced last year that the show was being axed after 37 years on air.
Then, four months after the final episode aired, it was revealed that the show had been saved by online streaming service Amazon Freevee, with production set to begin in the coming months. One good thing that came from the belief that it was really curtains for the Erinsborough set show was that a number of stars from the past returned, including Neighbours legends Jason Donovan and Kylie Minogue as Scott and Charlene.
Appearing on Good Morning Britain on Tuesday morning to promote Neighbours: The Celebration Tour, Dennis – who has played baddie Paul Robinson on and off since the show’s first episode back in 1985 – said it would be “interesting” to see what show writers come up with for the saved soap.
Referring to Minogue and Donovan’s return for the finale last year, he said: “Kylie and Jason’s wedding is probably still the iconic moment of Neighbours. The saying goes that there were as many people watching the wedding over here as there was the population of Australia. When pressed by GMB host Ed Balls whether they could return again, he replied: “Never say never is what I say. Look what’s happened with the show.”
In addition to Dennis, Jackie Woodburne, Alan Fletcher and Ryan Moloney, who play Susan Kennedy, Karl Kennedy and Toadie Rebecchi respectively, have already been confirmed to return. Also set to reprise their roles are Rebekah Elmaloglou as Terese Willis, Georgie Stone as Mackenzie Hargreaves, and Tim Kano as Leo Tanaka. Meanwhile, soap legends Ian Smith and Melissa Bell will make guest appearances as Harold Bishop and Lucy Robinson respectively, along with April Rose Pengilly as Chloe Brennan.