The Duchess of Sussexs father Thomas Markle told Insider that he had no plans to reunite with her in London earlier in June.
Thomas 77 was meant to travel to the UK for Queen Elizabeths Platinum Jubilee which Meghan and Prince Harry attended alongside other members of the royal family. But Thomas was hospitalized after having a stroke in May and was forced to miss the celebrations as he recovered at home. I had a stroke and was unable to attend the Jubilee and I am still recovering but it was my intention to come to pay my respect to the Queen the royals and the British people Thomas said in part of a statement shared with Insider. I was invited to the Jubilee by Dan Wootton and Lady C and other friends in Britain I did not plan on seeing my daughter and Harry he added later in the statement.
Thomas was due to appear on a TV special with the journalist Dan Wootton on GB News during the Queens Jubilee Wootton wrote in an article for the Mail Online in May. He had also been invited to stay at the TV personality and author Lady Colin Campbells home Castle Goring in West Sussex Daily Mails Stephanie Takyi reported.
Thomas issued the statement in response to a request for comment following Insiders interview with Thomas YouTube partner Karl Larsen. The pair cofounded the Remarkable Friendship channel earlier this year which had more than 18000 followers on Wednesday.
Speaking to Insider after the Jubilee Larsen said he attended several events including Trooping the Colour with his wife and his son. Larsen said that Thomas hadnt shared with him what his plans would have been had he been well enough to visit London. He said he didnt believe Thomas would have reconciled with Meghan who he hasnt spoken to since before her wedding in 2018. Well no because heres the thing. You know and I know when you go there… if Thomas had just come with me [to the Jubilee] 99% of the people would have never recognized him Larsen told Insider. They would never. I dont think so maybe you think so he added.
Thomas told Insider that he has severed his relationship with Larsen since recording their last YouTube episode. And speaking to Insider over the phone Thomas son Thomas Markle Jr. said that he was unhappy with Larsen for speaking on his fathers behalf. Thomas said in a YouTube video published on May 21 that he had arranged his visit to London before the Sussexes announced they would attend. I dont think well bump into each other I dont think well go to the same places but Im sure therell be times when there will be glances between myself and my daughter and my soninlaw and well just have to play it by ear Thomas said in the video.
Harry and Meghan kept a low profile at the Jubilee attending only a small handful of public events including the Service of Thanksgiving at St. Pauls Cathedral on June 3 which marked their first joint appearance in the UK since their step back in 2020. They watched Trooping the Colour on June 2 but did not greet fans on the balcony as per the Queens request for only senior working royals to do so. Representatives for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex did not immediately respond to Insiders request for comment.